London dating sites in uk
Instead, to construct the map below we have had to use a variety of sources including Peter Ackroyd’s the internet, as well as help from our social media channels!
The map below is an ongoing project and we’re always in search of new sites, so if you know of any omissions then please let us know by using the contact form at the bottom of this page.
Established in 1640 to provide additional burial space for nearby St Margaret's, part of the site was designated as a plague pit in 1665 and is now a public garden.
Also buried here is the Crown jewels thief, Colonel Thomas Blood, although he died somewhat later in 1680.
These plague pits are now beneath the dog walking area around the church. Bartholomew's Hospital Ground, the area was used as a large plague pit between 1664 - 1666.
It is likely that at least some of this site was used as a plague pit certainly in the 17th century and possibly in the 14th century.
For though the plague was long a-coming to our parish, yet, when it did come, there was no parish in or about London where it raged with such violence as in the two parishes of Aldgate and Whitechappel.''[it was] a field not to be passed without a shudder by any Londoner of that age.
There, as in a place far from the haunts of men, had been dug, twenty years before, when the great plague was raging, a pit into which the dead carts had nightly shot corpses by scores.
This has been confirmed by Hackney Council, and today local residents are warned to 'keep off the grass'!
Many thanks to Cory Doctorow for helping us identify the exact location of the pit, as well as an unidentified submitter who tipped us off to the site.